Last updated: 01/08/2018
Since the year 2000, our annual Athletics Sports Day for Years 7–9 takes place at the John Charles Centre for Sport (formerly called the South Leeds Stadium). Almost 600 of our pupils compete in 11 different athletics events.
It is a highlight of the school year, a wonderful celebration of sport, incorporating both inclusion (98% involvement) and excellence, with school records broken every year.
As ever, parents and carers are very welcome to attend our Sports Day and we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible this year.
Date of the next Sports Day:
Monday 15 July, 2019
Sports Day News Stories
Winning Forms 2003–17
- The most successful form since 2003 is Fisher, winning 9 Year titles.
- No form has ever won Y7, Y8 and Y9 in the same year.
- Forms who won sports day all three times they entered it:
- Gwyn, who were Y7 in 2010
- More who were Y7 in 2012
- Postgate who were Y7 in 2014
- Clitherow, who were Y7 in Sports Day 2016 could join this list if they win in 2018!
* In 2003, Dickenson and Fisher were tied to win Year 7
** In 2007 only Year 7 did a Sports Day and it was held at school.
St. Mary’s Menston Athletics Records
- The longest standing records were set in 1981:
- Y7 Girls' Shot Putt J Foster 7.87m 1981
- Y9 Girls' Shot Putt C Thompson 8.83m 1981
- Sophia Hall holds the most individual records (4), setting them between 2004–6
- The fastest 100m across all year groups, 11.69 seconds was set in 2013 by Joe Gardner, a Year 7 boy
- The most recent school record was by Charlotte Kenneth who set a new Year 7 Girls 800m record in 2017. Charlotte’s time of 2:34 broke the record by 9 seconds.
Note: Records before 2000 were established on the school 300m grass track
Number of records broken per year
As part of our school's ongoing photos and memories project, an online gallery of Sports Day photographs has been created.
St. Mary's Menston Sports Day photos gallery (2,600 photos)
Sports Day photo galleries by year: