Since the year 2000, our annual Athletics Sports Day for Years 7–9 takes place at the John Charles Centre for Sport (formerly called the South Leeds Stadium). Almost 600 of our pupils compete in 11 different athletics events.
It is a highlight of the school year, a wonderful celebration of sport, incorporating both inclusion (98% involvement) and excellence, with school records broken every year.
As ever, parents and carers are very welcome to attend our Sports Day and we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible this year.
Date of the next Sports Day:
Sports Day News Stories
Winning Forms 2003–16
- The joint most successful forms since 2003 are Postgate and Fisher, each winning 8 Year titles.
- Wharton and Sherwin have only won just one Year title each, since our records began in 2003.
- No form has ever won Y7, Y8 and Y9 in the same year.
- Forms who won sports day all three times they entered it:
- Gwyn, who were Y7 in 2010
- More who were Y7 in 2012
- Postgate who were Y7 in 2014
* In 2003, Dickenson and Fisher were tied to win Year 7
** In 2007 only Year 7 did a Sports Day and it was held at school.
St. Mary’s Menston Athletics Records
- The longest standing records were set in 1981:
- Y7 Girls' Shot Putt J Foster 7.87m 1981
- Y9 Girls' Shot Putt C Thompson 8.83m 1981
- Sophia Hall holds the most individual records (4), setting them between 2004–6
- The fastest 100m across all year groups, 11.69 seconds was set in 2013 by Joe Gardner, a Year 7 boy
Note: Records before 2000 were established on the school 300m grass track
Number of records broken per year
As part of our school's ongoing photos and memories project, an online gallery of Sports Day photographs has been created.
St. Mary's Menston Sports Day photos gallery (2,600 photos)
Sports Day photo galleries by year:
Media Coverage of Sports Day
- Records broken by St. Mary's pupils at South Leeds - Sports Day 2003 [BRADFORD TELEGRAPH & ARGUS]
- Record breakers at St. Mary's - Sports Day 2008 [BRADFORD TELEGRAPH & ARGUS]
- Heaton shows Record Class - Sports Day 2009 [BRADFORD TELEGRAPH & ARGUS]