The Bishop of Leeds
As we prepared to welcome Bishop Marcus Stock to St. Mary’s on Tuesday 30 June 2015 to concelebrate our 50th Anniversary Mass, our school looked at the role of a Bishop.
Bishop Marcus Stock is the tenth Bishop of Leeds
Bishops of Leeds Timeline (1878–)
The Role of a Bishop
Diocesan bishops are assigned to govern local regions within the Catholic Church known as dioceses eg The Diocese of Leeds.
Catholics trace the origins of the office of bishop to the apostles, who were endowed with a special charism by the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. This special charism has been transmitted through an unbroken succession of bishops by the laying on of hands in the sacrament of Holy Orders.
Bishops are collectively known as the College of Bishops and can hold such additional titles as archbishop, cardinal, patriarch, or pope.
Catholic Bishops are always men and should be:
- outstanding in solid faith, good morals, piety, zeal for souls, wisdom, prudence, and human virtues, and endowed with other qualities which make them suitable to fulfill the office in question;
- of good reputation;
- at least thirty-five years old;
- ordained to the presbyterate for at least five years;
- in possession of a doctorate or at least a licentiate in sacred scripture, theology, or canon law from an institute of higher studies approved by the Apostolic See, or at least truly expert in the same disciplines.
Symbols of a Bishop
During his ordination, Bishop Marcus was presented with three symbols:
- The Bishop’s Crozier
- The Bishop’s Mitre
- The Bishop’s Ring
The Bishop's Crozier
The Bishop’s Crozier symbolises that Bishop Marcus is the spiritual shepherd of the people of the Diocese of Leeds.
The Bishop’s Mitre
The Bishop’s Mitre is worn by Bishop Marcus when he leads celebrations of the Church’s liturgy. The Mitre is a symbol of Bishop Marcus’ authority as the head of the Church in the Diocese of Leeds.
The Bishop's Ring
The Bishop’s Ring is a sign of his faithfulness to the Church. It is also a sign that Bishop Marcus is a successor to the Apostles of Jesus.
The story behind Bishop Marcus’ motto
The symbology of Bishop Marcus’ Coat of Arms
An unadorned Latin cross, displayed behind the shield
Green with 12 tassels for a diocesan bishop.
The symbol of St Mark (Latin: Marcus, Evangelist and Martyr) the Patron Saint of Bishop Marcus.
The pages of the Gospel Book held by the lion reads: “Pax tibi Marce, evangelista mea”,
(“Peace to you Marcus my evangelist”)
The colour of the blood which Christ sacrificed on the Cross and the colour of martyrdom. It reminds us that as baptised Christians we are called to witness to Christ and are ready to sacrifice our lives for Christ.
The colour for Christ and the eternal uncreated light of God.
Cross of St Chad
This is a reference to Bishop Marcus’ ministry as a deacon and priest of the Archdiocese of Birmingham.
The cross is the dominant symbol on the shield to remind us that Christ must be at the centre of our lives. The cross is blue, the colour for God’s eternal kingdom.
The symbol of the pilgrim. Bishop Marcus trained for the priesthood at the Venerable English College in Rome, which was founded as a hospice for pilgrims.
The fleurs-de-lis on either side of the lion symbolise the two arms of the Blessed Virgin Mary, as Our Lady of Unfailing Help (under whose patronage, together with St Wilfrid, the Diocese of Leeds is placed), spreading her cloak around those who seek to follow Christ. They are white to symbolise purity, holiness and simplicity.
- Pope Francis appoints Monsignor Marcus Stock as new Bishop of Leeds (15 photos)
- Pope Francis appoints Monsignor Marcus Stock as new Bishop of Leeds [CATHOLICNEWS.ORG.UK]
- Standing Ovation [DIOCESEOFLEEDS.ORG.UK]
- Pope Francis appoints Monsignor Marcus Stock as new Bishop of Leeds [DIOCESEOFLEEDS.ORG.UK]
- Mgr Marcus Stock Ordained as 10th Bishop of Leeds [BISHOPWHEELERCATHOLICACADEMYTRUST.ORG]
- "Love one another" [DIOCESEOFLEEDS.ORG.UK]
- The Good Shepherd 2015 photo gallery (6 photos)
- Corpus leads the Good Shepherd Liturgy [DIOCESEOFLEEDS.ORG.UK]
- The Good Shepherd Service 2015 [BISHOPWHEELERCATHOLICACADEMYTRUST.ORG]
- The Good Shepherd Service 2016 [BISHOPWHEELERCATHOLICACADEMYTRUST.ORG]